Saturday, September 8, 2012

Brayden's Is Starting Pre-School

I am almost in tears as I type this but it is what is best for him!!  I know that most 3 year old children start preschool & it is normal BUT B is starting in the actual school system!!  If you read my blog you probably know that B has been seeing a speech therapist for almost a year now & he was diagnosed with motor planning apraxia  & therefore has had a very difficult time communicating verbally.


Lance & I were concerned for a while when he was younger (1-1.5 years old) because he wasn't babbling or trying to talk to us; he was just mainly pointing to get what he wanted.  We spoke to his peditrition about it & he just told us that sometimes it just takes kids longer to speak & especially boys.  We listened & took what he said as what it was BUT we just knew that something was off.  As he got closer to turning 2 he was still just pointing & at this point he was beginning to throw fits & tantrums all the time.  We thought it was the terrible 2 come early BUT we later learned that he was & still is just very frustrated that we don't know what he is trying to tell us so he wasn't ever really getting what he wanted.  It was becoming harder & harder to get through the days because he was always upset about one thing or another & as a family the tension was becoming very bad.


As a mother I knew something wasn't right so at his 2 year check up we spoke to his doctor again but again we were told that sometimes it takes boys longer to talk................not listening to that this time we started B in speech therapy & eventually he started occupational therapy as well.  He started in October of 2011 & when he was approaching his 3rd birthday they told us that B could get evaluated by the school system for a special needs pre school program.  I was elated to hear that he was possibly going to get more help that speech a half an hour a week & OT for an hour BUT I was saddened too.  I was sad that our little guy was having to struggle so hard to do what came natural to so many other kids around him.


It was quite a process; there was the initial evaluation that B rocked (mommy was a wreck though), then there was the acceptance meeting & then came the IEP (Individualized Education Program) meeting which basically outlined B's personalized plan for the school year.  At each of these meetings I cried & I still cry daily about it.  I love my son & will do anything for him & this is what is going to help him tremendously BUT he is only 3 & he is going to be in the big boy school 5 days a week starting September 17th.  My big boy is really going to be a big boy & as happy as I am, I am also overcome with other emotions as well.


B will attend a county special needs pre-K program 5 days a week...........my 3 year old is starting school 2 years early & this mommy is struggling to wrap my head around that.  He is going to get the speech & OT help that he needs & he is going to get this developmental delay under control ASAP; but he is my baby & I am going to miss him.  I hate that he gets so frustrated so often, I hate that he gets stressed when there are too many people in a room, I hate that he has mini panic attacks for so many reasons, I hate that he looks at me & ou comes some babble & I don't understand him, I hate that at 3 years old he is struggling so hard to just get through the day...............I hate to watch my little guys day to day issue BUT am so happy that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Don't get me wrong he has come leaps & bounds from where he was a year ago & he is conquering new words daily but we are still so far from the "normal" vocabulary & have a lot of work to do.  I am proud of him for trying each & every day & for being such a trooper; he has no idea that I worry so much for & about  him & that I would do anything for him.  He has no idea how much he is loved & I just pray that a year from now all of his stress & frustration is gone & he can be the happy little boy that he wants to be.  It is so hard to watch his smiles turn into fear or frustration so often.  We have a long road ahead of us & I am sure that it is going to have its bump but I really feel in my heart that we are on the right road & heading down the right path!!!




3 comments:

  1. I know it's tough & that you will miss him tons during the week. But it's so awesome that he is starting early to get what he needs. It will make a ton of a difference for him in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post just made me tear up! You are doing the right thing for him even though difficult. Praying for your heart too as you start him in this program! Thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. Speech therapy did wonders for us, I am confident it will be great for him as well! :)

    ReplyDelete