Monday, August 24, 2009

3 Weeks Old Today.....

It has become very hard to blog but I am going to try to do catch up today......

Brayden had his 3 week birth day on Monday the 24th but it was not a good day at all.....well it started off good but my mid afternoon we were headed to the ER!! All last weekend Brayden was acting very fussy & we were on the phone with the Kaiser advice nurses all weekend just to make sure that we didn't need to bring him in to the doctors office at all but they said that he just sounded colicky & told us to give him some gas drops & keep a very close eye on his temperature & if it went above 100.3 to call. Sunday evening he sleep better than he had ever & so when Monday morning rolled around I thought it was going to be a good day. I got up fed Brayden & then he took his morning nap so I got in the shower & was actually able to do my hair & put makeup on before he woke up & I thought that was just an awesome feet so I was in a great mood. Then, Brayden woke up & I changed his diaper & fed him again & then went to take his temperature & it was 100.6 so I called Kaiser & they told me to get him to the Scottish Rite ER ASAP. I freaked out........but Lance was wonderful, he was again the rock I needed him to be!!



I called Lance & was on my way to pick him up from work & then we were on our way to the hospital! We got there & when we walked in it was quite a scary site. All the kids there had masks on for their safety as well as there own........the swine flu virus is a huge scare for kids! anyway, we got taken back to a triage room where they proceeded to tel us that for babies under 30 days it is protocol to draw blood, run a urinalysis & do a spinal tap. I was alright until I heard spinal tap then I lost it & started crying. Brayden was only 21 days old & a fever in such a young child is not good & they have to test for everything including spinal meningitis so needless to say the test HAD to be done.

They did the urine test first & to get his urine they had to use a catather & Brayden screamed at the top of his lungs & my heart broke. Then they had to try to get the IV in his arm & they had to poke him 3 times; he apparently got my rolling thin veins so it was a long & awful process & he was crying & screaming the whole time & I was just in tears. Thank god they took him to another room for the spinal tap because I don't think that I could have handled any more!! This is my poor little boy while we were in the ER & with his IV......





They had to do cultures on his urine & spinal fluid so we had to be admitted & they told us that they would be starting antibiotics ASAP to help fight whatever he had. The initial test results were all good except for his urine test; he had a high white blood cell count & that is a sign of infection so they watched that culture very close. It was a scary 2 days in the hospital but THANK GOD nothing grew in the cultures & all he had was a viral infection that was cleared up with all the antibiotics they gave him over the two days we were there. We got to go home Wednesday afternoon & I was so happy too get here.



Brayden napping on his PaPa......


I know that they have to monitor Brayden but I swear every time I would get him to sleep they would come in & mes with him which would of course wake him back up & he would be mad as hell & cry for about another hour & then they would come in again. i finally asked Lance to talk to the nurses & tell they that they need to do everything they have to do at one time & then leave us alone for the rest of the time!! I had, had it by Wednesday & after we received the good news from the doctor I was happy to leave that place! The hospital & staff were all wonderful but there really is no place like home (Brayden in his car seat on the way home....finally asleep in peace)!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Mitzi, so sorry you had to go through that poor little Brayden I m glad he is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little guy!! I am so glad he's doing better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that seriously sounds awful. Poor Brayden--I hate that he had to have a spinal tap...and the catheter...glad you're all home now!

    ReplyDelete