Thursday, October 29, 2009

Tummy Time.....

The only way I can get Brayden to lay on his tummy for more than a minute or two is if he is snoozing on my chest & that I have only been able to get his to do a few times.
I am trying to find different ways to get him to like being on his belly, but nothing seems to work or even help. I get on the floor with him, have things for him to look at while he is down there, talk to him in a voice that usually makes him smile & nothing....after about a minute he is done & on the verge of a full blown meltdown & I don't want him to hate it that much so I roll him on his back when I see that about to happen & try to stop the crying event that is about to happen.

The stress that I have over this is INSANE & the first step I am taking in the hopes that it helps us is laying him on his side when he naps!! My thought process about this is he is half way to being on his belly, he is off of his back & there is less chance of him getting Plagiocephaly (flat head syndrome)....this really freaks me out. But it still doesn't help with the fact that he won't do tummy time & if he doesn't do his tummy time then how is he ever going to roll over & eventually crawl??

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get Brayden to like being on his tummy??

6 comments:

  1. Uggh I have the exact same issue with Gianna! She hates being on her tummy more than anything. I think the most tummy time I've gotten with her at 1 time is about 5 mins before she screams bloody murder.

    I have no suggestions obviously, but I need some advice too! I was nervous she would never roll over too, but she just did from her back which is supposedly harder than from the belly so maybe brayden will try it that way first :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, not all babies like it and it takes time. I have heard that around 3 to 4 months they start liking it more. Besides Brayden has already figured out how to kick that musical thingy on his crib! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam hates tummy time too, but he loves being held in a standing position. While exhausting, any time they are not laying on the back of their head has the same effect on their skull and neck development as "tummy time." While he may not roll over or crawl anytime soon, it's more manageable than the meltdowns that he goes into when on his tummy more than a short short time. Good luck with Brayden -- but so far, nothing has worked for Sam either.

    I hear that one day it's just like a switch was flipped and he'll like it and to just keep trying daily until that day comes...so I do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no suggestions, but I'm sure he'll figure it out and don't worry...it'll happen. I'm telling you this now, but wait until Weston is born, and I'm struggling with questions and worries! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel you pain...Hope this tummy time video helps!

    http://www.pathwaysawareness.org/?q=tummytimecentral/video

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think it just takes time. i worked in an infant room at a daycare for a few years and some babies just seem to have preferences. im sure your little man is held enough and you don't have to worry about him being on his back too much. so long as he is happy :)

    ReplyDelete