Friday, February 11, 2011

Snow = Baking.......

Yesterday we woke up to a beautiful dusting of snow.  It was the perfect amount for the south; enough to cover the ground but not enough to send everyone into a morning panic!!  Schools & work didn't have to shut down & Georgia DOT didn't have to again show us how they can't handle it when it snows.  Stores did sell out of milk & bread because the weather men of course freaked everyone out the night before but hey..........that's what they are there for right??

I went around our neighborhood to take some photos just because I thought it was so pretty.



















After a peaceful morning around our neighborhood I went in to make cupcakes & treats for Brayden's daycare class (& me) for Valentine's Day.  I have wanting to get back into baking for quite a while now but kept telling myself that I didn't have time to do it.  Well, I am going to make time to do it because I enjoyed doing it so much yesterday!!  Not to mention the fact that this pregnancy has brought on a horrible sweet tooth & though I have been trying to control it I have not been very successful at it; so now I have told myself that if I am going to have something sweet I am going to have to make it & NOT buy it.  My thought is that I will eventually get over baking for a minute or just to lazy & that in turn will mean no sweets for me.........we shall see if this works out for the good or bad over the next 3 months!!

I have been craving a Sweet Potato Cupcake ever since I saw this post on Mrs. F's blog; so I made them from scratch & I don't want to toot my own horn but TOOT-TOOT they were amazing!!!  I used a recipe that I found on Better Homes & Gardens & not only was it simple to make the cupcakes but the cream cheese icing was a cinch as well.

Sweet Potato Cupcakes

  • 2  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 2  tsp.  baking powder
  • 1  tsp.  ground cinnamon
  • 1/2  tsp.  baking soda
  • 1/4  tsp.  salt
  • 1  cup  butter, softened
  • 1-1/2  cups  sugar
  • 3    eggs
  • 1  17.2-oz. can  vacuum-packed sweet potatoes (unsweetened), mashed
  • 1/2  tsp.  vanilla
  • 1  Recipe  Cream Cheese Frosting, below
  •     Finely shredded orange peel

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups; set cups aside.
2. In medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and beat on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition until combined. Add sweet potatoes and vanilla, beating until combined. Add flour mixture; beat until combined (batter will be thick).
4. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 1 minute. Remove from pan and cool completely.
5. Place Cream Cheese Frosting in large resealable plastic bag. Cut a 1/4-inch opening in one corner of bag. Pipe frosting on top of cupcakes. Sprinkle with orange peel. Makes 24 cupcakes.
Cream Cheese Frosting: 
In large mixing bowl beat one 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened, and 2/3 cup butter, softened, with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add 2 tablespoons bourbon or milk and beat until combined. Beat in 8 cups powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth and of a good piping consistency. Makes 4-1/3 cups.
Make Ahead:Freeze unfrosted cupcakes in airtight containers up to 1 month. Store frosting in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days.

nutrition facts

  • Calories400, 
  • Total Fat (g)17, 
  • Saturated Fat (g)10, 
  • Monounsaturated Fat (g)5,
  • Polyunsaturated Fat (g)1, 
  • Cholesterol (mg)71, 
  • Sodium (mg)210, 
  • Carbohydrate (g)60,
  • Total Sugar (g)48, 
  • Fiber (g)1, 
  • Protein (g)3, 
  • Vitamin C (DV%)9, 
  • Calcium (DV%)3, 
  • Iron (DV%)5, 
  • Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet




I boxed them up in the adorable Valentine's boxes that I found at Walmart & they are all ready for delivery!!


If you like to bake or if you just get the chance I really do suggest that you try them.  I will have to post about the other treats that I made for Brayden's daycare class when I finish them; they look so yummy & I just hope the kids all enjoy them.

Have a wonderful Friday!!


2 comments:

  1. I love your snow pictures! And those cupcakes sound and look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS pics, Mitzi! For living in the south, you sure have been getting lots of snow this year!! Those cupcakes sound yummy, I may borrow your recipe. Cream cheese frosting has got to be one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete