Thursday, February 10, 2011

Toddler Bed Already.........I'm Not Ready!!

I can't believe that I am actually considering doing this already but I think B might be trying to let us know that he is ready for a "big boy/toddler" bed.  I have been hoping & praying that he would stay in his crib until he was about 2 so after Colton was born but he has been trying more & more to get out of the darn thing & has almost succeeded quite a few times.  I have run into his room after seeing him on the monitor with his whole body is laying on the top corner of his crib; so does this mean he is ready or at least it is time?  At 18 months is he even going to stay in a toddler bed?  

On side of me thinks that if he is ready than he is ready & we will hopefully at least have it down to a science by the time Colton is born so we won't have a new baby in the house as well Brayden's bed transition but then another part of thinks that if he can hold out a little longer it might not be so bad to do it after Colton is born since I am going to be up & down throughout the night feeding C anyway.  I just don't know & am trying to trust my gut feeling on this but my gut says that he is just not ready for this big change however if he falls out & gets hurt I will never forgive myself for letting that happen!!

I would love any advise or to hear from you ladies about your personal experiences with the transition.

On another note: We have been blessed with good weather for the past few days (above 50) so we have been trying to make the most out of it & getting outside as much as possible.  We have a small little play area in the front of our neighborhood that we go to every once & a while & B just loves to swing............






2 comments:

  1. Roscoe's been in a toddler bed for several months, and around 14 months we disassembled the crib and put the mattress on the floor. I thought the transition would be a challenge but it wasn't at all. Of course, we still lay with Roscoe until he falls asleep, so the whole "staying in bed" thing isn't an issue. He loves his bed. It will add a little twist to your bedtime routine, depending on how he is put down now. But I bet B is ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parents Magazine says to use a crib tent and keep them in the crib as long as possible. However, I personally think that's a waste (and other sites say crib tents aren't the safest either since they can pull them down on themselves or are hard to get the baby out with it in the way in an emergency). All of my friends whose kids have done what B is doing go ahead and transition them to the toddler bed (or even regular sized bed), and it goes fine after a little practice and patience. Good luck with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete