Friday, September 3, 2010

Brushing B's Teeth

We were told by the doctor to start brushing Brayden's teeth & really thought nothing of it UNTIL I tried to do it & he threw a huge fit.  He went down to his knees screaming like I had just cut his tongue with the tooth brush; he was a mess over it!!  I finally just handed him the tooth brush & all he wanted to do was put it is him mouth & run with it & well that is not safe at all so we are settling for him sitting down & chewing on it for a few minutes 3 times a day brushing his teeth.  Is that bad?  Oh yeah & he hates the kids toothpaste that I bought too.  Do you think it is maybe the toothbrush & if so what kind do your kids like??

6 comments:

  1. My little sister used to cry when she had to brush her teeth. We made up a song to make her laugh when she brushed. It's pretty basic "brush 'em brush 'em brush 'em!!!" Worked for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going through this right now too! We bought a child's vibrating toothbrush and now she's letting us brush her teeth so it might be worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just do it really fast with Addie. She doesnt have that many teeth, so I just scrubbed the top and bottoms, then let her chew on it. I'm hoping thats good enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a dental hygienist and I generally tell my patients to start by just giving their child the toothbrush to play with and chew on. Try to brush your teeth in front of him so that he sees what it is supposed to be used for and he will try to mimick you. I brush my daugthers teeth (or tooth, I should say) while she is taking her bath each night. I let her chew on the brush for a bit and then I grab it and do a few strokes over her tooth and gums. You will have to give your kids teeth a once-over after they "brush" until they are at least 3 or 4 anyway, so its important that they get used to it. Also, I don't use any toothpaste yet. You really don't need to use any, but if you choose to, kids don't generally like mint falvors and make sure it doesn't have fluoride it in until they know how to spit and not swallow any of it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cameron had that tooth brush and loved it. We've been brushing his teeth since he was 9 months old, at least, though. I'm sure he'll get used to it eventually. Cameron likes to hold the toothbrush and "brush" his teeth after I am finished too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gianna has a little colgate toothbrush with the Baby Orajel training toothpaste... She is obsessed with brushing her teeth though! I don't know if it's the toothpaste or if she's just a little weirdo haha

    ReplyDelete