Monday, June 27, 2011

"Binky"

B is going to be turning 2 in just a little over a month & I have sworn that, that is when the "binky" will be gone for good but as the day gets closer & closer I wonder how in the hell I am going to make that happen.


He only gets it at nap & bed time & he actually doesn't even suck on the thing anymore; he just chews the crap out of it & it hangs out the side of his mouth.  I think that it is a big security blanket for him at this point & am fearful to take it away; plus I know that it is going to make nap & night times hell & I am just not looking forward to getting less sleep than I am already getting (I know selfish).

Any advise that you ladies might have regarding this would be greatly appreciated.  The only thing that I have started with B regarding this is telling him each time that we give it to him that "big boys don't have binky's & since he is about to be 2 & that is a really big boy he shouldn't  need it anymore".  He doesn't care & reaches for it anyway :)

5 comments:

  1. I slowly cut the tip off of my son's. The first day I cut a slit in it and then slowly cut more and more off. It worked like a charm; he lost interest in it. I too was worried about his sleep because it seemed to be the only thing that calmed him. He would wake at least once a night, but once we put his paci back in he was fine. Once the paci was gone he has actually become a better sleeper and rarely wakes at night. Does he have a blanket or stuffed animal he likes? Barrett's blanket became his security item when the paci left, it does a great job calming him down. Good luck; it's hard not to give in esp. on the rough days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who took her son to "Build a Bear" and they put the pacifier inside the bear. (Not sure if you have "Build a Bears" near you.) the pacifier was gone and he got a new bear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in need of some advice too! Gianna only gets hers for naps & bedtime also, but she NEEDS it or she won't go to sleep. We lost them a couple of nights ago & she was NOT happy. Uggh... how do we get rid of these things?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We took our son's away right after the Haiti earthquake. We boxed them up and "Mailed" them to Haiti to all the kids that lost them in the earthquake. The difference is my son was almost 4 when we finally got rid of them at bedtime. I have also heard of people using the Binky Fairy that brings them a toy in exchange for the binky. Good Luck!! I feel for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brayden still uses his, mostly at nap time and bedtime, but if he finds one that I didn't get put away- omg. I can't get it away from him! BUT it seems to go in spurts. When he is cutting new teeth, he wants it WAY more. He is working on the last of his molars right now, so I am going to wait until his teeth are all through before trying to take it from him. I know it is his comfort thing with his teeth. I am hoping he will want to "share" it with his baby sister! But we'll see. I am also going to try not asking for it, and not making a big deal that he has it. Maybe if I ignore it, he will lose interest.

    ReplyDelete