Monday, June 13, 2011

Suggestions Please..........

Brayden will not stop doing this............


& it is driving me crazy!!  I was so thankful that he never had any interest in sucking his thumb because I think that it is just so gross but he has now started to bite/chew his fingernails & fingers & I don't know how to make him stop!  He is biting them down to nasty little nubby nails & I HATE that.  I see people nails like that as adults & it drives me crazy; not to mention B's hands are washed all day everyday but that doesn't mean that they are clean; he is a toddler & the germs that he probably has on his hands 2 seconds after they are washed are probably endless!!

I have tried that thum stuff that you put on his nails like nail polish but it didn't phase him one tiny bit & it has cayenne pepper in it!  I would love any suggestions that you guys might have.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Mitzi, that's a tough one. I don't have any experience with it :( Have you asked the pedi for a recommendation? There's only so much redirection you can do because you can't catch him every time he puts his fingers in his mouth! Good luck and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy bites his nails and it's a habit that he feels really strongly against passing on to Roscoe, so he was pretty upset when Roscoe started to bite his nails many months ago. Roscoe bit his nails all the time, and very loudly. It was pretty annoying! We chose to ignore it. We didn't bring attention to it in any way, positive or negative. We just let him do his thing, knowing that this is a common developmental behavior, like hitting and nose picking.

    Roscoe rarely if ever bites his nails now. Sometimes I see him do it but it's so rare. We actually have nails to clip now!

    Relax about it, it's not an indication of anything that you have control over. It will most likely pass, and in the meantime there's really no way to stop him, so you might as well leave the power struggles alone and invest energy into something positive for him. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitzi, don't worry too much about it I know it's hard to deal with but it will pass. JD did the same thing for a couple months and then eventually one day it stopped (now he thinks picking his nose is interesting). Just cut Brayden's nails as short as possible for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH... my daughter won't stop doing that either! She even has been biting her toes!! :::::blushing:::: ...how awkward is that? I don't know how to make it stop! Ahhh

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son would also bite his nails and eventually at some point he stopped. I wouldn't worry too much about it but I'd continue to tell him not to. I hope it stops sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may be a soothing/comfort thing for him since he may be feeling the baby still. I am sure it will most likely pass. I have no suggestions for you other than that stuff to put on his fingernails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think that he is soothing himself by doing this because it started before Colton's arrival & has just slowly gotten worse. I am hopeful that he eventually just stop doing it & know that I shouldn't worry about it but I just think it is so nasty & it a pet peeve of mine. I don't draw too much attention to the fact he does it I just take his fingers out of his mouth when I see him do it & say "thank you".

    We shall see what happens soon enough though I guess.

    ReplyDelete