Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Successful Failure???

I’m Budget Boot Camp Challenger!
Does that title even make sense????

I have never actually written down our weekly meal plan; I have decided in my head a few times what I wanted to make & asked Lance what he feels like for dinner next week but had never put it down on paper & honestly I really did enjoy doing it.  I thought that after the hard task of getting it written, printed & posted in our pantry that it would be easy to follow & stick too but at the end of day 6 of our 1st challenge & after 6 breakfast, 6 lunches, & 6 dinners The Goodson Family has failed at only one of each!!  You would think that to be good right??  NOPE; the ratio of 3 to 18 is pretty damn good but the saving over spending is where we failed so I would have to say we failed this challenge!!

Saturday morning we were supposed to have breakfast at home but I had to run out for milk & went right past Chick fil a & I swear that damn cow called out for me to drive thru.....it really did & it was the damnedest thing I have ever seen!!  Saturday night Brayden stayed the night at his JuJu & PaPa house since we had plans to go to the lake so instead of pizza we went out to dinner & pick a place we hadn't been in forever but love & ended up spending WAY TO MUCH; it was so nice to have a dinner with my hubby but Lord have mercy it was kind of steep!!  Lastly, Lance failed to grab his leftovers in the fridge so he ate out for lunch on Monday!!

When I added up what I spent at the grocery store for this weeks meal plan PLUS what we spent on eating out it is way above what I had planned for & so I will say it again we FAILED & I am pretty disappointed in us.  It seems that every weekend our spending gets away from us & we really need to reel it in......ASAP!!!  I am hoping that this week might be a bit easier since the 2nd challenge is to make & stick to a shopping list; I think that with the 2 combined we will have better success.  I have already started next weeks meal plan & am hoping to save on the grocery list because alot of the stuff that is on it we already have it in our pantry or freezer............Wish us luck!!

Here is our posted meal plan:

8 comments:

  1. Eating out gets me too!! Overall I think you did great for the first week! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, only 3/18 really isn't too bad! I love that the cow called out to you out the window, LOL. It's usually Starbucks that calls to me and it doesn't help that my 5 year old likes to remind me that Vanilla Creamers are only $1.50... for her. It's still like $4 for my drink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick meals are our downfall too. We usually cook dinner at home, but we practically NEVER pack lunch to take to work. That's $8 - 10 per day, per person for lunch. It adds up fast!!

    Good luck with your next task!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know how this goes. I'm pretty strict during the week and watch out weekends, I need to not to care because its the weekend and then I'm completely shocked to see the state of our bank account on Monday morning. Saving money is harder than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a successful failure! LOL! Hey, week 1 and you stuck to most of it, that ain't half bad. It's the eating out thing that does push a budget over and I know for me that I LOVE eating out so it's hard. Good job though! U can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be too hard on yourself. You get an A++ for effort! Just remember that despite planning and preparation that life sometimes gets in the way of us doing what we really want to do. It takes a lot of discipline to stick to your plan. You will get there...it was only week 1!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey fellow challenger, at least you made progress. You wrote down your meal plans. (I don't know you ever just remembered what you were going to make, I could never do that.) Baby steps, that's what it takes, it won't be perfect the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great that you're planning ahead - I know it's saved me and my family a lot of time and money. I usually try to make lunch the night before, but if I don't have time or if I've forgotten, I still have backups. I usually have a few ready-made meals in my freezer or pantry that I keep for emergencies. My favorite ready-made brand by far has been Tasty Bite, whose preservative-free, all natural, low fat/cal/salt meals only take 90 seconds to make and are made from very simple ingredients. My kids love them too and once or twice a week I'll send them to school with a pack too. Other brands such as Kashi and Amy's are great too. Another idea is to freeze leftovers or make double the next time you make dinner. Food for thought! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete