Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sleep Training/Ferberizing Sucks!!

About 2 weeks ago we decided to start Brayden on some sleep training since the amount of times he would wake up each night was between 6-10; I read up on the Ferber method & decided that it sounded a bit extreme & that we would try a modified version of it & hopefully he would start to STTN very soon. What we were doing was working wonderfully & we were on a roll last week but then he caught a horrible cold & it all went down hill this past weekend! He wasn't feeling good & couldn't breath well out of his little nose (especially at night) & I was very concerned & he looked so darn pitiful that I went into check him, rock him, give him his paci...whatever I thought he wanted I did or gave to him this past weekend. I never have & never will let him cry when he is not feeling well; in my mind there is something wrong with letting my sick baby boy cry himself to sleep!

Brayden is feeling better & almost 100% again so we decided to start again on the sleep training last night.............HOLY CRAP am I tired!! He was up & screaming I think about 5 times but I managed to only get up twice. I got up the first time after he had cried for 5 minutes straight & I only went in, gave him his paci & told him I loved him & he was back to sleep in about 10 minutes. Then I got up the second time (about 2 hours later) when he had cried for 15 minutes straight....I mean non-stop screaming & yelling type crying; I got up after the 15 minutes & again only gave him his paci & tell him I love him & then I went back to our room. He screamed for about another 5 minutes & right when I was about to give in to my little man he stopped; it was so crazy he just stopped crying & started to babble a bit & then he was out. He cried (not screamed) 3 more times (I think it was 3) but these times he only did it for about 5 minutes & then he was back to sleep all on his own.

I didn't get up the last 3 times & the whole time I was watching the monitor I was trying to convince myself that I am not a bad mother for not going to him, he is not going to think I don't love him anymore.....I tried to convince myself that he was still going to smile at me with that big gummy grin & love me in the morning & you know what HE DID! He still loves his momma & gave me the same big, happy, & beautiful gummy grin I have gotten every other morning; it is crazy how his grin reassured me that I was a good mom!!!

It didn't shock me that I would have a problem with letting him cry but it shocks me on how much I felt like a bad mother for doing this; having a child is hard & making the right choices on what to do & not do is even harder......I know I am not a bad mom but look at his little face & tell me how am I supposed to let him cry??


Song of the Day: Sugarland - It Happens

10 comments:

  1. I know how you feel, and I'm hoping that we don't have to go through this with Weston. We probably will at some point, but I'm praying that he'll just start sleeping through the night, and I won't have to hear him cry at night! I can't imagine how tough it is though, because I hate hearing my baby cry, and I don't want him to cry. I want to be able to comfort him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, thank goodness for video monitors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did this about a month ago and it seriously saved us! It was rough for three straight nights, but we kept to the plan, didn't give in and followed the rules and now we have the most glorius sleeper in the house! It's amazing and works if you stick to your guns...hang in there. I promise, it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did this about a month a go and I had the same fear. The first morning I was almost scared to go into his room. I expected some death stare, and instead got a well-rested, happy boy with the same coos and smiles for his momma. It's hard as can be, but you have to remember you are doing it for his good, and that makes you a fabulous mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you feel mean, but I let Ava cry once for 30 min straight and she went back to sleep and has been doing great since. We to had periods when she would wake up after she had the virus a few weeks ago. Tough it out, it works! Good luck, I know it is hard! Sending many hugs your way! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine! I am the same way though, I have a tough time letting Brayden cry too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have tried this method as well, but it didn't work for us. I do completley understand your feelings of being a bad mother. I felt that as well. When they are crying like that, all you want to do is go in, pick him up, comfort him and back to sleep. It's hard to changed that habit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, that picture is freaking adorable :)

    Second, we're right there with you. When Addi is sick I can't let her cry but otherwise we limit how often we go in to soothe her. Honestly, I'd love to have her in bed with me but I know that's a horrid habit to break :( You aren't a bad mommy, you're teaching him a valuable skill of self comfort. That being said, it still breaks my heart to hear her cry, so I feel your pain... hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to do this with Austin and it was so hard to let them cry it out! You are not a bad mommy though, just keep it up and you will love it once it works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was our story as well!! It is SOOOO hard to listen to them cry as 1 minute seems like an hour! There were many times my husband had to stop me from going in too soon!

    There is light at the end of the tunnel and if you stick with it...it DOES work!!

    Can't wait to hear updates!

    ReplyDelete