Monday, December 13, 2010

So Colorful........

I have been working with our little guy on his coloring & flash card skills on a daily basis here lately & have a question.........how do I stop a 16 month old little boy from eating the darn crayons??

He will start off just fine & color very well........

And then it happens; I go to take a sip of my pumpkin spice decaf coffee & there it goes, straight into his mouth!  He bits the tips off the crayons almost every time!! 

And chews & swallows; I know that they are non-toxic but still. 

I have tried putting him in toddler jail but it doesn't work so I am asking you guys for some advise.
(I was just kidding about toddler jail; he was just watching the TV on the stairs in that photo)

I know that the small amount of the crayon that he is eating won't hurt him & he will soon poop it all out (it is going to be one colorful poop) but any suggestions that you might have to stopping this would be wonderful.

4 comments:

  1. Oh you poor thing...i know the feeling.....my daughter swallowed a dime last summer and i was freaking out! All i can say is wait it out :( Give him lots of snacks with fiber and veggies to help it come out faster. My ped says any fruits that start with the letter P ....Plums, Pears, Pineapple are all good for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the Crayola wondercolor markers. They cant eat the tips off. Plus if your little one colors off the paper it wont color anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say that if he's still eating the crayons that he's not *quite* developmentally ready to color. Roscoe finally turned the corner in the last month or so, and admittedly he still puts the crayon to his mouth and simultaneously says "no?" because he's checking with me to see if he should or shouldn't eat it, but most of the time it's all about the actual coloring, and less and less about eating.

    Markers are a different story, though.

    B will get the concept soon, in the meantime you can just emphasize that crayons are for coloring (point to the paper), not for eating. If he gets overzealous you can redirect to another activity until next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dog eats crayons and poops a rather colorful rainbow. He lives to tell. :)

    ReplyDelete